We have previously discussed the three keys to safe and clean water. Chemical balance is perhaps the most important element to maintaining water for both residential and commercial swimming pool accounts. Poor water chemistry can not only cause staining and damage to the pool’s surface and equipment but can also cause swimmer discomfort and illness. Proper water chemistry should be checked for and maintained each week. Unbalanced chemistry can allow for algae growth and algae harbors and protects germs and bacteria, allowing it to thrive and putting your swimmers health at risk.
There are 5 main aspects of water chemistry to keep balances and to check for regularly. These 5 aspects are:
- Free and Available Chlorine (FAC) – maintained at 3 to 5 ppm (parts per million)
- pH Balance (Power of Hydrogen) – maintained at 7.4 to 7.6
- Total Alkalinity (T.A.) – maintained at 80 to 120 ppm (parts per million)
- Conditioner (Cyanuric Acid) – also called stabilizer, maintained at 30 to 50 ppm (parts per million)
- Calcium Hardness – maintained at 180 to 500 ppm (parts per million)
There are a few other conditions that can also be checked, depending on your equipment and factors around your pool:
- Salt, Salinity (Sodium Chloride) – Salt is used with Salt generated chlorination systems only and should be maintained at 3250 to 3500 ppm (parts per million) though different manufacturers will have some variance in their recommended salinity levels (with some up to 4000 ppm)
- Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) – a measurement of all solids dissolved in a sample of water and a general indication of the waters age. Proper TDS levels and recommendations will be given on a TDS test kit.
- Phosphates – a measurement of microscopic dead plant material and food for algae. Measurements for recommended phosphate levels will be given on any phosphate test
Contact VivoPools today to help check your pool’s chemical balance!
About Vivo Pools
VivoPools is a leading national provider of swimming pool maintenance and remodeling services, specializing in commercial pool management and residential swimming pool renovation and cleaning. With locations in California, Arizona, Florida and New Jersey, Vivo’s pool experts provide homeowners and property managers with a full line of pool services tailored to fit their needs, including salt water system maintenance, heater maintenance, filter cleaning, acid washing, routine pool cleaning and water chemistry maintenance. For experience and service you can rely on, call a VivoPools professional near you at (888) 702-8486!